Whenever comic-book legend Stan Lee does anything thousands of people are bound to be there. The man himself is probably one of the most influential creative minds in recent history and has such a strong following that I’m surprised he can go anywhere at all. Well, Stan the Man, as many people refer to him, owns and hosts a convention every year with a little help from everybody’s favorite horror vixen Elvira.
Every year tens of thousands of fans of comic, horror, gaming, sci-fi and pop culture flock to the Los Angeles Convention Center for an up-close-and-personal look at the latest these industries have to offer at the Comikaze Expo.
The Comikaze Expo sees these fans enjoying panel discussions, hundreds of vendor booths, celebrity appearances, interactive zombie obstacle courses, Harry Potter Quidditch tournaments, movie screenings and just about anything else you could imagine. Special events at this year’s expo include:
- Celebrity Appearances – Stan Lee, Elvira, Norman Reedus, Adam West, Burt Ward and Julie Newmar, Linda Blair, Thomas Jane, Lou Ferrigno and Todd McFarlane.
- Quidditch Tournament – Local college students will compete in a semi-accurate depiction of the famous wizarding sport (obviously no flying or magic will be involved).
- Comikaze Zombie Apocalypse – A 75,000 square foot survival course infested with zombies. Participants will be chased through a large obstacle course where they will be required to crawl, climb and slide to safety.
- Stan Lee’s Comikaze Activision Arcade – Area featuring six of Activision’s newest games, including Tony Hawk’s Shred, Deadpool, 007, Transformers Rise of Cybertron and The Walking Dead.
- Elvira Macabre Museum – The largest single collection of Elvira memorabilia along with an opportunity to meet Elvira herself.
- Stan Lee Mega Museum – One of the largest Marvel collections in existence, featuring Stan Lee’s personal collection and Marvel movie memorabilia plus a signing area with Stan Lee.
- Vendors – Hundreds of vendors selling new and vintage memorabilia, original art, figurines, tees and lots more.
The convention itself takes place from Saturday, September 15 from 10am to 7pm through Sunday, September 16 from 10am to 6pm. Admission is $20 per day with kids 12 and under gaining free admission. The entire event will take place at the Los Angeles Convention Center.
Source: The Sacramento Bee – Stan Lee’s Comikaze Expo Takes Over Los Angeles Convention Center September 15-16